Thursday, August 7, 2008

Milestones

We've hit a milestone in Sydney's toddlerhood.

Yesterday we took down the crib and last night for the first time she slept in a big girl bed! After much pleading and several attempts at the "puppy dog eyes", Steve and I considered taking down the top bunk where Sarah Jane sleeps. She hadn't been sleeping up there because she is convinced that spiders come down from the roof and onto her bed. I have tried to convince her that there is nothing to worry about- I have vacuumed all of the corners with her in the room to point out the spots I've missed, I've wiped down all of the crevices where they might be hiding, and I've conducted nightly inspections- all to no avail. She has been sharing a bed with Sadie Lynn, and frankly, that has been working out fine.

We moved the bed to clean behind and under, and Sarah Jane thought that a good opportunity to beg for her bed to be put on the ground. We explained that there wasn't room for two big beds and a crib, and if we took down the top bunk someone would ALWAYS have to share a bed. "That'll change her mind" we said. "She'll never agree to sharing a bed for good" we said. "OK, that's fine" she said.

Steve and I discussed, Sarah Jane, Sadie Lynn and I discussed, Steve and I discussed again. Today we have two twin beds on the floor and no crib. The baby was ready for a big bed and her transition went very smoothly. She said goodbye to her crib and got right up onto the big bed and closed her eyes. (She literally said goodbye to her crib as we took it out of the room) She will be in what used to be the top bunk because it has side rails already, as she's not used to having open sides she can fall out of. Last night Sarah Jane shared that bed with her, and Sadie got her own bed back for one peaceful night's sleep. Tonight I have no idea who will sleep where, and it may be a new experience every night for a while. They have all been warned that if this doesn't work out the beds go back and the third bunk will be added. Especially with school starting soon, I will be in no mood to referee bedtime.

We'll see how it goes- I'll keep you posted.

Yours 'till a good night's sleep can be had in the flower bed.

1 comment:

christythecook said...

I am happy to hear that you trip went well.

On the note of the girls sharing the room and the beds for that matter. Our boys have their own rooms now and as I type this they are currently in the same room and bed sleeping the morning away!

I pray that their brotherly bond will never be broken!

Miss You Lots!
Christy