Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It's a Good Thing

No, I'm not Martha Stewart, who may very well hold the copyright for "It's a Good Thing." But I am Erin Hinton and there are definitely some good things to talk about.

First, I took Sarah Jane to school today with the plan that she will ride the bus home this afternoon. This is a big step for her, and she was very nervous about it. She was almost in tears last night dreading what the next day would hold, and awoke this morning in no better spirits. She tried to convince me that she had a stomach ache and couldn't go to school. When that didn't work, she mysteriously came down with a headache also. However, the offer of liquid Tylenol (yuck!)seemed to clear it right up. The whining and whimpering began shortly thereafter and continued until we got to school. I walked her in and we had a chat with Ms. Ramos, her teacher, about our plans for the ride home. Ms. Ramos was able to show Sarah Jane where she would go after school to get on the bus and told her that Anna, one of her friends in class, also rides the same bus. She then remembered Anna's first day on the bus, just last week, and how nervous she was too. But now she gets on everyday and everything is just fine. In fact Ms. Ramos would be sure to have Anna wait for Sarah Jane so they could walk to the bus together, and maybe even sit in the same seat. Sarah Jane kissed me goodbye and walked to the playground with a smile. I wasn't so sure a couple of hours ago, but this just may work out after all! If it does, it will save us an hour everyday and an incalculable amount of gas money.

Another good thing is that I am actually looking forward to going back to work today! I have never really had a job I dreaded going to (except that summer at the bank- sorry Aunt Judy) but a job is a job and I haven't ever been excited either. Yesterday was good old Labor Day and while I enjoyed the day off I am honestly happy about being able to get back to school today. Now, by Christmas I may be begging for 2 weeks off, but it's all so new right now, and I'm having so much fun that I'm actually excited to go to work. Odd feeling really.

One more good thing is that since yesterday was a holiday, I had a chance to make banana nut muffins. And a cheer roared through the Hinton Huddle!

Yours 'till Bear Mountain has cubs.

No comments: