Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yeah, I know, I know.

I'm not even going to talk about how long it's been since I posted an update on this blog. Let's just move on.

So, our wonderful Sadie Lynn is in Kindergarten this year. I struggled with myself at the beginning of the year over whether or not to "warn" her teachers about her strong personality. It would be good for them to have a fighting chance in getting her in line, and I wouldn't want them to think that I think that she is a perfect angel. On the other hand, I didn't want to label her or help others pass judgement without getting to know her entirely. Yes, she is a handful at times, but she can also be soft and nurturing, and I didn't want people to only focus on the negative (although, I'm not convinced that her toughness is really negative.) I really debated, weighed the pros and cons and finally decided against having that discussion with anyone at Delta.

Apparently I decided wrong.

If I had warned her teacher that Sadie Lynn has been known to do things like paint the fish in the fish tank, to paint her sister's feet blue with nail polish, and to eat things like Christmas ornaments and polish remover, then maybe there would have been more supervision with the scisors and she wouldn't have cut both her own hair, and the hair of one of her friends. But I didn't warn. And hair was cut.

If I had warned her teacher that Sadie Lynn is very emotional with extreme ups and downs, and that you have to take care of a disagreement at the very beginning or it WILL escalate and end in someone getting hurt (and that someone will surely not be Sadie Lynn) then perhaps the two (that I know of) arguments over toys in the playhouse wouldn't have ended is a little girl getting hit in the head and Sadie Lynn in the office. But I didn't warn. And two calls have been made to say "Mrs. Hinton, your daughter is in the office for fighting."

Nice. Great. What a wonderful way to not only start off the school year, but her educational career. Just super.

I'm praying that Sadie Lynn has decided that the consequences for getting in trouble in school are not worth it, (the home discipline worsens exponentially the second time) and that she will take another route in solving her problems with fellow students. A route that does not include hitting, kicking, or biting. (Alternative solutions have been discussed ad nauseam.)

We shall see.

No comments: