OK. So I haven't been very good at keeping this darn blog up and running. Who am I kidding?! I've been HORRIBLE at keeping this blog up and running! It seemed like a good idea when I started it, I just didn't factor in my procrastination, laziness, and perfectionism. My stance has been that if I didn't have something profound, enlightening, or newsworthy to say, then why say anything at all.
Recently that position has changed. The proverbial light bulb has illuminated. I have realized that even saying nothing says something.
Two things have helped to change this perspective, the first being that my daddy has gotten an Internet phone that allows us to call each other without the outrageous transcontinental phone charges. Since this new fangled device has been up and running I find myself wanting to call to say hello, just because I can and not because it's a holiday or something big has happened in our lives. I just want to connect, even if it's for a brief moment. Could that be why people check my blog? Not because they can't wait to see what witty piece of wisdom I come up with today, but because they just want to connect, if even for a sentence or two?
The second thing that has helped to form my new blogging point of view has been reading a blog of an acquaintance. The mother of a child from Sarah Jane's preschool is battling angiosarcoma and her family has kept a blog of her life since the diagnosis. I check it everyday to see how things are going. I have found myself feeling mild disappointment when there hasn't been anything new added, while on days when there is nothing to report but someone has written to say that, I appreciate their effort and feel satisfied with that. I just want to know what's happening, even if it's nothing.
I started this blog to connect with my far away family and friends, of which I have many too many. Or rather, to help you all connect with us. And now I know that even when I say I have nothing to say, I have still said something, and that is better than saying nothing at all.
So, here we go again. And while this may not be a thrilling ride all the time, I hope we can stay the course together as I share our lives, loves, laughter, and many other things that don't start with the letter L.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great to Hear you are back at it! I have a similar friend who's son has had a cancerous brain tumor removed and is currently home to MI for 2 weeks and then back to St Judes in Memphis for 6 months of chemo. I do like to just connect, to know that things are happening or nothing at all. I look forward to hear about the simple things as well as your Wise Words! Luv and Miss you!!!!
Post a Comment