Today I went to a West Sacramento Chamber of Commerce Connection Luncheon. The preschool just became members of the Chamber and since Mrs. Brown wasn't able to attend the lunch I got to go and represent. As a new member I had the opportunity to stand and speak about the preschool and had my picture taken holding our new plaque. After the lunch and special presentation (a riveting power point on local road improvements) was concluded other members introduced themselves and asked all kinds of questions about the school. Some asked just because they were curious, but I passed out several brochures to people who were genuinely interested in the program for their own kinds.
I really do believe in the Parent Participation Nursery School opportunity. I know that co-ops are a dying breed and that West Sac is very fortunate to have one in our community. And while I recognize that with our state's dismal budget issues James Marshall has a big target on it's door for closure, I am glad to have the opportunity to fight for our existence. To make connections with the business leaders in our community is just one step in making a name for the school. I have written a letter to our school district top dogs and board members inviting them to the upcoming CCPPNS conference to be held in Sacramento in March. (BTW- California Coalition of Parent Participation Nursery Schools) I don't think that any of them will show up, but we had to let them know that there is more to us than just our little classroom.
It is hard to think about leaving the preschool when I feel so strongly about its benefit to the children and families we work with. And with Mrs. Brown ready to leave in the near future, I can see myself being the Director and really digging in to the importance of parent co-ops and standing up as an advocate for this program for as long as I can.
Any thoughts?
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment