Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend Update

Steve and I got away by ourselves this weekend. A rare occurrence, every minute of which I took full advantage of.

It started with the hour and 45 minute drive, 90 minutes of which I slept through. We arrived in San Fran and went directly to our hotel. We're lucky if we get one night out of 365 without the girls so we splurged a little. OK, a lot. We stayed at the Westin at Union Square, used their valet parking, and didn't bring any of our own food for meals. I know! Way extravagant!

After checking in we freshened up and set out to find dinner. We walked a total of 6 blocks and finally settled on Max's, which happened to be on the same block as the hotel. They had a great menu and we proceeded to shamelessly stuff ourselves. Knowing that our pre-dinner walk would only put a dent in the calories we had just consumed, we continued to wander the streets around Union Square. We went in an antique shop which felt like a museum, an art gallery that was showing a few Warhol pieces- it was awesome- and then we stopped in at Borders just to see what they had on the clearance table. We didn't buy anything but had a good time looking around. It being almost dark we went back to the hotel. It didn't take long for my eyes to droop, and both of us ended up getting 11 hours of sleep that night.

In the morning we took our time getting ready and hit the streets again to find breakfast. Only this time it was raining. Just a dribble, but enough for us to not want to go very far on foot, so we went back to Max's. Steve and I both had incredible breakfast sandwiches and again had to pry ourselves out of the booth after licking our plates clean. We wanted to see more of the city so we checked out of the hotel, loaded the car and drove to the gate to China Town. Steve had been looking forward to walking through China Town, so we decided to brave the weather, but only on the condition that we could buy umbrellas. And as luck would have it, umbrellas were a popular item at practically every shop we passed. We walked almost the whole length and back again managing to keep mostly dry. But after that we decided that this wasn't the day to do much more sight seeing, so we headed home.

I did manage to stay awake on the drive home, concentrating mostly on lesson plans for this week. We gathered the girls who had been spending time with Auntie Hannah and Uncle Daniel. Steve had missed the girls so much that he took them out to dinner and to the mall this evening. I, of course, stayed home, the mall not being my favorite place. But also because I wasn't invited. Mommy had already had her alone time with daddy and now it was their turn.

Speaking of which, they have pretty well wound down from their fun and are ready for bed. Duty calls.

Yours 'till fortune "cookies" can tell where I will go next on the internet.

No comments: